Eau Claire marathon 2016 - Half marathon race recap

I was super excited for this race. I ran my first half marathon at the Eau Claire marathon last year. The weather was warm on the race day last year and I had to slow down and drank water a lot. However, since last year was my first race, the expectation was low. I just wanted to finish the race (never imagined I would be able to run 13 miles).

This year the expectation was quite different because I know how running 13.1 miles would feel. I have also joined Indianhead Track Club and did all my training with a group of runners who later became friends. We ran the EC marathon route so many times that I could imagine each mile. Lately I started to run without music because I want to be able to focus on my breathing, the road, and the surroundings. I feel that I run faster without music.

This morning (the race morning) I woke up, ate breakfast, and stretched I would do on every long run day. Got to the start line at 8.30am. Walked around and went to the bathroom. It was such a beautiful morning, perfect running weather.

I kinda expected Mile 4-5 to be mentally difficult because I remember from last year that there were not many people there. This year it seemed like there were more people on North crossing. I was glad that it was kind of windy around that area as I needed it at that point.

Mile 10-11 were the best as we ran through the university (Blugold mile). A lot of students came out and cheered on the runners. It was so loud and fun that I forgot about how tired my legs were at that point.

Then, I arrived at the dreaded Water street mile. Last year it was kinda empty and quiet but this year there were groups of students and a blow up EC marathon arch right at the beginning of the Water street section. However, I felt that Mile 11-12 were the hardest. It was so straight and I almost ran out of energy at that point. Stopped to drink water at every water station.

After Water street, I saw Dairy Queen, which meant the finish line was near. Indianhead Track Club had a water station at the Carson park entrance and it was so good to see familiar faces handing out water at that point in the race. I felt energized again. Then, I ran up the Carson park hill (tried not to walk) and through the finish line. Saw more familiar faces at the finish line.

Eau Claire marathon turned out to be a big party for me as almost everyone that I know in Eau Claire either running or cheering at the race. This year race was special because I ran 20 minutes faster than the last half marathon. Final time - 2:04:50 hours. Woo!

Such a nice race.


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler