Eau Claire Triathlon

Last race before we leave Eau Claire!

This year I was c-r-a-z-y and signed up for 5 races (and many fun runs) in 2 months. They were around the end of the semester. Eau Claire triathlon was the last race I had in the book before we leave Eau Claire. I did the first triathlon last year at My First Tri in White bear lake, MN. That race was geared toward beginners (friendly flat course). Eau Claire Triathlon felt like a 'real' triathlon to me.

As for training, I had MINIMAL training in swim and bike because I did not have time. The triathlon was only 2 weeks after the superior trail run and my legs were still recovering from that race. I did practice open water swimming in Lake Wissota (my swim was horrible) and there was another organized group swim/ride 3 days before the race.

To refresh my memory, I attended the beginner seminar on Saturday night where they talked about how to set up the transition area, rules, etc. It was really helpful and calmed me down. I knew I could do this.

We arrived at the race around 6.30am on the race day morning. Set up the transition area, had my body marked, and did some warm up swim in the lake. The water was warmer than I thought (good for me). Friends from the Indianhead Track Club also came out and cheered on me and M.




I was a little nervous at the swim start. Doubted myself if I was going to be able to do it. 500 meters seem not too far but I hadn't practiced swimming much. It turned out that swimming was faster than I thought (even though it was exhausting). Biking was pretty much what I expected -slow. I knew that many people were going to past me on the bike but that's okay. This is an area that I have to work on.


The last part was running, which I had the most confidence. After swimming and biking, I still ran pretty fast (compared to my own records). My goal for the race was to have fun and try out another triathlon to see if I like this sport. I did have fun and fell in love with the sport. There are so many challenges that you feel like you always something to work on.


I have to thank all my friends and hubby for the support. It was great to have people cheering on you when you need it. P brought the fancy camera and he was, again, my personal photographer at the race :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler