Wanna Tri! Indoor sprint triathlon

First triathlon race of the season. I saw the announcement on the university student rec website and the flyer at the pool. I checked the price and it's only 15 dollars for members. I was still a member at student rec when I signed up for the race. Well, who could say no to a 15-dollar triathlon race? (with a t-shirt, it's 5 dollars more).

I've been adding more swim and bike to the training since the injury but I am still a slow swimmer.

I received the instructions from the race director that I was in the 9am wave (female). The first wave was for male competitors starting at 8am. There were 3 waves today (8am (male), 9am(female), and 10am (mixed and relay). So, I arrived at ONAT around 8am. A bit after the first wave started. Below is the picture of the first wave swim.



They did not have a bib but assigned me a number. I'm #10. Longest last name (again). 


Body marking right after I checked in. 


The swim started right at 9am. There were so many good and fast swimmers in my wave and I got panicked (they were fast). I was the second to last person to get out of the water. Luckily, the bike was right in front of my swim lane. I changed quickly, hopped on the stationary bike, and started biking. I finished 2nd on the bike and immediately started running. I would say biking was the hardest part mentally because I usually don't race with music. So, it was 27 mins of staring blankly on the wall :( 

The run was nice because it was outside. I started passing the people in front of me and felt really good. Thank to ultra running and racing. Running uphill was nothing to me but other competitors slow down. I managed to finish 2nd in my wave on the run. Just one second after the 1st finisher. 


Surprisingly, I was the 4th overall female at this race! There were 2 fast female competitors in other waves. This is awesome compared to my race expectation (first indoor sprint = goal is not to die or drown). I guess the goal for me this summer is to improve swim time. 

Good thing about a short race is I still have the rest of the day to run errands, relax, and do some work before Monday morning. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler