Finally, I'm an ultra marathoner!!!

After I ran the marathon at Run with scissors last month, I was considering doing BBA 50K as my first ultra because friends told me that I could take the marathon as the last long run. However, BBA 50K was full so I volunteered at the race instead.

I found a "free" 50K race in Medina put together by Medina County Road Runners (MCRR), a running club in Medina, OH. The race was "Buckeye woods 50K" and it's free for all members. The membership fee is only 20 dollars so I just paid 20 dollars for the annual membership fee. This race is a good strategy to get more new members.

Buckeye woods 50K was advertised as a flat 50K (that's why I wanted to do it). Runners began with a 1-mile loop and then traversed the 5-mile loop around lakes and through woods six times, which made it 31 miles. The route had 2 sections - limestone and trail. Runners who ran 3 loops or more (25K) but not as far as 50K (6 loops) were considered 25K finishers. There was only one aid station, which was easier for volunteers.

The first 2 loops were fine. I carefully paced myself and ran around 11 min/mile. I struggled during the 3rd loop because I did not carry water bottle with me and was dehydrated toward the end of the loop. After taking some gel and carrying water bottle with me, Loop 4 and 5 were fine but I ran slower than the first 3 loops. I could not stop to walk because everything hurt so I had to keep the running motion (though every slowly). My ultra friend, S., stayed with me the whole time, which made it easier for me both physically and mentally. We thought about walking the last loop (coz my intention was just to finish the race) but walking hurt more than running. So, we SLOWLY jogged the last loop.


Our friend, R., finished first (he has 66 100-mile races under his belt so this race was like a 5K for him) and came to cheer/run with us the last 0.25 mile). We made it to the finish line/aid station. Volunteers and other runners came to congratulate us. It was a low-key race but I love friendly, supportive races.

Another runner who also ran her first 50K owns a jewelry shop so she made and donated handmade finisher medals for all finishers. Very special.



These guys (plus B. who was still running the race when this picture was taken) contributed to my running success and I can't thank them enough. I learned so much wisdom and ultra tips from them while we run together. They'd been encouraging me to run a ultra since day 1 I met them.



This race was a nice wrap-up to end my 2016 race year. I started my year with 5K, 10K, and half marathon PRs. Then, ran the first marathon in October and an ultra marathon in November. I am finally an ultra marathoner!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler