Celebrating 4 years of running today!

No, I did not really START running for the first time in my life on this day. I'd been running at the gym since I was 20 for fitness and health purpose. I always preferred running to other activities at the gym since I started going to the gym. Aerobic dancing was too loud and full of screaming old ladies (back then). I almost had heart attack the last time I went to a class.

Running (on a treadmill), on the other hand, gave me peace and focus. I listened to the music that I LIKED and zoned out from everything around me. It calmed me down.

One thing I know is I like exercises. Any kind of exercise that makes me sweat - running and tennis in particular. Recently, I started getting into triathlons and, to date, it's my most recent addiction.

I stopped exercise here and there. The longest I ever stopped exercising completely was during the first 3 years of graduate school. Life was not very pleasant then. I was under a lot of stress and was lonely. I gained 10 pounds.

When life could not get any more miserable, I decided to start to go back to the gym to use exercise as a stress reliever and it worked. I ran 2-3 times a week and played tennis with friends once or twice a week.  

In summer of 2012, a couple of friends asked me to run a 5K race with them. I'd been running 3-4 miles on a treadmill anyway, so why not? Some of them were doing a 10K but I did not have time to train (last year of grad school) so I just signed up for a 5K.

That 5K changed my life.

November 4, 2012 I completed the first 5K race.

I felt really good about myself and decided to stick to this distance. Ran another 5K in 2013 (Pie run) and another one in 2014 at the Eau Claire marathon. A year later I finished my first half marathon and things have been going crazy since then. Half marathon became a go-to distance for me. No wonder why most people love this distance. It's possible to train and run half marathon without too much commitment. You are only HALF crazy.

On October 29, 2016 I finished my first marathon and plan to run an ultramarathon (50K) this month (November).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler