Monster Dash 10 miles - Costume race

Monster Dash race was advertised as the fast and fun race that you could get your PR because the course is flat and beautiful. I registered for the race early in August and only wanted to run 10 miles. I thought I would be too busy to train for the half marathon (13.1 miles). It turned out to be on the same day as Carson 5 & 10, the race organized by Indianhead track club.

I spent about 2 months training for this race but my training was on and off because of a couple of injuries. This semester work had been crazy for me as well. Luckily, I started joining the ITC group runs, which made me commit to the long run on Saturdays.

Monster Dash has 3 distances - 5K, 10 miles, and half marathon. This year it was the largest road race with approx. 18,000 people signed up for the race! It's on the halloween so people dressed up in costumes. The race also had prizes for winning costumes.

This is my in my bumble bee costume that I got from Walmart the night before.



Due to road constructions and incorrect direction, we arrived at the start line 15 minutes late :( It's the first time I was ever late to the race. Another factor that made this day "not-so-great" was the rain. It was wet and cold when I started running. The first mile was hard because I was still trying to put on my headset, adjust the costume, and turn on the GPS watch. After mile 3, things started to get better and I could catch up with the crowd.




It was raining the whole time. I finished in 1 hour 40 minutes (not a PR but am happy with the time). The finish line was at Mile 10 and I had to take a shuttle back to the race village (half marathon finish line). Waited for the shuttle (in a cold, rainy weather) for about 30 minutes. I should have spent the time waiting for the shuttle running to the half marathon finish line! Urgh.

Overall, I enjoyed seeing people in different costumes. It's a fun, nice race that runs through picturesque St Paul neighborhood. I got the finisher medal at the end, too :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler