Training for races that may or may not happen

This past week has been a good training week. I was able to stick to the training plan and only missed one ride (because it was raining outside). Life also seems to be back to normal. I saw people going out to restaurants, shopping, gym, etc. Because many people had big parties on the Memorial Day weekend, we decided we will wait a couple of weeks to see if there will be any spike in the number of COVID cases (the incubation rate for the virus is believed to be about 2 weeks). For now, we are still enjoying our backyard patio dining :) 

I fell off the bike on Sunday so I had to skip Monday open water swim :( On Thursday, we attended P's virtual graduation (yay, finally!). It took him 5 years to get this degree and finally he is done! It was pretty uneventful. We watched the online ceremony and went back to work. 



We then celebrated his graduation on Saturday with a seafood meal :)




Medina Half Marathon was supposed to be this weekend but it was canceled so the race director organized an unofficial MHM event. I wanted to support the club so I ran the half marathon course with 2 new friends. It was not fast but the weather was perfect for a long run. They also gave out a medal after everyone finished. 




On Sunday, I did a short run with friends (not on the training plan) before riding by myself for 90 minutes. Biking on tired legs was tough especially when you are trying to do a specific workout (e.g., speed, intervals). I'm glad I got it done (and did not fall this time).  




I started thinking about the races that I have including the A race in September. I wonder if they will ever happen this year. It seems like all triathlon races have been canceled so far and those that are scheduled for July are still on hold. It's kinda demoralizing when I think that the triathlon training that I'm doing now is for a race that may not happen. My coach told me to just wait and see and there is a good chance that the September race will happen. 

At this point, I am thankful for being healthy, having a job, having a house, and for the ability to work remotely in the comfort of our own home. If the race does not happen, it is not the end of the world. There is always next year and hopefully, they will have the COVID vaccine by then. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler