#QuarantineCooking classes - Thai cooking

To follow up on the previous post about the #QuarantineCooking class, I am going to write about it in this blog.

During the first week of April, I saw a professor in Cleveland taught her students to cook Indian food (she is Indian) on Saturday nights and I thought it was a very cool idea! but I did not think my students would be interested in making Thai food as much as my friends would so we started a virtual Thai cooking class on April 11 where we taught our friends to make green curry. Everyone loved it and they thought it was a cool idea. So, the next weekend we taught another class on Pad Thai. This time I sent out an invitation to the whole campus because I was using the university WebEx account to host the class. My WebEx could host up to 1,000 people so I guess I should invite as many as possible.

On the 2nd Saturday class, we had 80 people joined us for the Pad Thai class. It was a big hit as many people like Pad Thai and wanted to know how to make it. We posted the ingredients beforehand and the participants needed to prepare the ingredients. Then, we did a cook-along with them and talked about the history of the food and/or the ingredients.

My husband likes to cook and I like to teach and eat. So, it works out well for both of us. I am the moderator of the class and he is the (celebrity) chef. Many people thanked us for the classes and said they enjoyed our classes as they were informative and fun.

Then, we got media attention from the Akron Beacon Journal. They wrote a story about our cooking class HERE. On the 3rd Saturday, we taught people to make Massaman Curry and many of them liked it and invited other friends/families to our class.




I also had people contacted me after they saw our story in the ABJ saying that they wanted to be in the class, too. So, we set up another event on May 2nd and we taught Larb and fruit som-tam. We have been enjoying the classes as much as other people have. It was also fun for us and we have something to look forward to on the weekend. Many people made it a date night, family bonding night, or even just something to do on Saturday night. We have met (virtually) many new friends and nice people. The class was free (that's why it was so popular) but we also encouraged people to donate to the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank.

Some told me that they really liked the class because it was fun and was something for them to do on Saturday night. During COVID-19, it was easy to be bogged down on the negativity and negative news/information. So, at least this was something positive during the negative time. 




We don't know how long we will be doing this as the idea is it's a #QuarantineCooking class. The weather started to warm up but we still cannot eat out or go to a brewery (which used to be our Saturday night activity). Also, more people want to join our class. At least we will host it for one more week and then see. We have people joining us from everywhere - HI, WI, MI, FL, WA, NY, CA, including Canada. So, IMO, it's a success :)

Last but not least recently I got a sourdough starter from a friend (E.) and have got into the sourdough craze. I had a new pet yeast and his name is Emilio. I've been baking with Emilio for a couple of weeks now and the experience was amazing! There is so much I don't know about sourdough bread baking and I am curious to know more (just bought a book and will be reading it when it comes). 




That's the updates about the #QuarantineCooking class. So far, it's still fun for us and we don't feel like it's a job yet. I hope we can keep it going for a while especially when our summer travel plan was canceled :( 

Sydney



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler