The power of good habits and trying to establish the 2020 exercise routine

To summarize the 2nd week of the Spring semester in three words - tired, out-of-shape, and (already) overwhelmed.

I had another big deadline on Friday that I spent all week working on it. After that big deadline, together with a long teaching & meetings day on Wednesday, I felt drained and lost motivation to do anything. I was so mentally and physically drained that I skipped all prescribed workouts on Thursday (then, felt like sh*t that I missed the workouts). On Friday, I managed to go to the gym and did some strength training.

Saturday was the Chinese New Year (Lunar New Year) so my husband (Chef P.) cooked the traditional Chinese New Year food at home on Friday night (duck, fish, noodle, etc). It was delicious. It's been 14 years that I did not celebrate the Chinese New Year with family but we always do our own "celebration" at home (mostly eating a lot of traditional food).



On Saturday, we went out to run the Buzzard Day course in Hinckley. The trails were as expected - muddy and slushy. This year they took out the soul-crushing area that used to be in the race and made the course more "runnable". My plan is to run the 50K at the Buzzard Day Race and volunteer after to help those runners who run the 100K distance. The course in the winter was still beautiful despite some cold-water crossing, which made my toes feel numb.



This week is the "real beginning" of my ultramarathon/half Ironman training. I slowwwwllllyyyy started to get back to swimming and trying to establish the exercise routine for 2020. I have to admit that after a month of traveling and being away I kinda lost the rhythm and the routine. Now it's time to get it back! and get ready for the 2020 races.

This morning (Sunday) I went out for a solo run on the Towpath. The training said "short run" so I did not care much about the distance but I ran based on how I felt. I also listened to a Hidden Brain episode on the power of good habits, in which they interviewed a psychology professor whose research area is on habits. Good habits are more powerful than willpower and self-control. Once good habits are established, they will stay with us for a long time (e.g., running, exercising, eating healthy). I can relate not only on the exercise part, but also on the working part. I've been working on establishing a daily writing/research routine and it took me a while to do that. Listening to the podcast during a run also gives me the opportunity for self-improvement.

Will see next week goes. Friday is supposed to be another multiple-meetings day and I hope I survive those meetings.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler