Regal Beagle 50K - Last 50K of the year with a HUGE PR

This was my 3rd Regal Beagle 50K. I have run this race (and the distance) every year since it's started. The good thing about this race is that it's in my backyard (only 10 minutes drive from my house). The race is also part of the Running Forward and Giving Back race series. So I have every reason to support the race.

Regal Beagle course is fast and very runnable. Many people run this race to get a 50K PR. Last year I was running well but the course was really muddy so it slowed me down. However, this year the course and the weather were PERFECT. It was about 20 degrees at the start but it got warmer (up to 50 degrees) toward the end of the race. They also changed the direction of the course this year so I felt like we were running downhill most of the time (with only one big climb in each loop).

The course is a 5-mile loop. The 50K runs it 6 times. They also have a 25K (3 loops) and a 5 miler (1 loop).

The week leading up to the race day I was working on a couple of deadlines. I was still working (editing a paper) on Friday night when hubby asked: "don't you have a race tomorrow?". I told him I did but I would think about it tomorrow morning because I did not have enough cognitive resources to think of anything else but work. I felt so NOT ready but whatever...

While I was preparing for the race on Saturday morning, I checked the race email again and it turned out that they changed the start line location this year! I was about to drive to last year start location and I would have totally missed the start LOL Glad I checked the email to make sure.

I arrived at the new start line about 20 minutes before the start just enough time to up the packet and pin my bib. Then, we took off. The first 3 loops went well. I ran a steady pace. Ankle felt fine. Nothing hurt. I was flying... (well, "flying" for me was still a slow pace tho).

Then, loop 4 and 5 my left hip started to get tight. I had to slow down and walk up some hills but I was still moving well. The left ankle started to hurt but it was not a sharp pain like during the Akron marathon. It was sore like how it was supposed to be.

Below is the picture of me that J. took at the beginning of Loop 4.




At the beginning of the last loop, A., who was volunteering at the start/finish aid station said that I was running well and she asked if this was going to be my PR. I looked at the watch and if I kept going at the same pace, it would be a huge distance PR for me. So, I told her yes. I was still feeling fine. I was tired but nothing hurt.

I crossed the finish line with a huge PR (by 35 minutes). I was surprised but was happy with how the race turned out given the lack of training and mental preparation. I guess it was one of those "perfect" race days with the right course, the right weather, and the right people.

The aid station volunteers were amazing. They were all my friends and I was glad to see them every time I got to the aid stations. I had a great race yesterday and felt like my normal self again.




 I will definitely run this race again next year :D


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler