Post-triathlon week. The week of 50 miles run.

The post-triathlon week was supposed to be my "recovery week". Turned out that I ended up logging in 50 running miles, which was the highest mileage for me in a very long time.

Monday - I went to a 75-minute yoga class because my muscles were very tight from the race and I needed to stretch them somehow. The class was cool because it was the eclipse day so the teacher made us do Moon salutation instead of a typical Surya Namaskar A & B (Sun salutation) like what we usually do in other flow classes. I really liked the flow that we did because it's not too "heavy" for my tired legs and arms.

I also took a pic of my calf on Monday because it still had the tri number on. Body marking is one thing that makes me feel like a triathlete :)


Took Tuesday off - completely off. Although the yoga class helped my body relax, I knew I had to have a day that I REALLY DO NOTHING. Scheduled a run with a friend in the morning but ended up postponing it because I wanted to give my body a break that it needed.

After a day of a complete rest, I felt fresh again. Ran 5 miles on Wednesday morning by myself as my friend was still sick from her travel. Morning run always helps me start my day.


Now that my triathlon race was done. I have to re-focus on my running race. My hope/plan is to do the double marathon at the Run with Scissors in October so I have to start training for that by putting more miles on my feet. Luckily, the race director has a familiarization course run every Thursday evening. So, I joined them on Thursday. We ran for 2 hours.

Friday - a colleague who is on my Akron marathon relay team wanted to do an easy run with her on the Towpath. So we did easy miles together before I went to campus to meet with students at the freshmen orientation event.

Saturday - I did the Blue line training run for the Akron marathon. Last year I signed up for the half marathon but ended up running 20 miles on the training run. This year I signed up for the marathon so I ran 20 miles at the training run again. It's good that the race organizer and other organizations put together a training run on the course. It helps us runners know what to expect on the race day. My body is not used to running on road so I struggled during the long run on Saturday. Certain sections of the course were kinda...unfinished/sketchy...we ran through a road construction during Mile 11-12. Since it was the training run, everyone had to watch for the traffic and run on the pavement most of the time. The good thing is I was done before noon so I had the rest of the day to hang out with hubby.

This weekend was the first weekend that I (officially) started the back-to-back long runs, which are crucial for ultra training. An ultra runner in the area put together a Friends Buckeye 50K run where we run on the Buckeye 50K course following the blue blazes. I did not go the whole distance because I only needed 10 miles today. Since it was an out-and-back course, I turned around at Mile 5 and ran back by myself. Well, everyone was far ahead of me so I was by myself most of the time. Glad that I got the back-to-back long runs in this weekend and my ankles are still fine! (most important). Will see how this coming week plays out as it's the first week of school. Not sure if I will have energy to keep up with all crazy miles that I have on the training plan.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler