Racing weekend - Crowell Hilaka half marathon & Donut 5K (new PR)

Sorry for the late post. I'd been busy with a BIG deadline, grading, and other school stuff that I did not have time to update the blog about my two races in October.

I am now at a somewhat critical point in my career that requires me to focus on work and less on the play. The end of October and early November is usually a super busy period (research, midterm, grading, final projects, etc). So, running has become a tool for me to release stress. I enjoy an easy run (with or without other people) and prefer to spend time catching up with friends during a run, rather than trying to do a structured run or get a certain amount of miles in each week.

There were a couple of things that happened to me in October that put me under a lot of stress and anxiety. I knew I was entering the state of mind where if I did not do anything to fix it, it would become worse. So, I decided to use running as an outlet to release stress by telling myself "every run should be enjoyable and bring happiness and energy. If I ever feel that a run is a chore, I will do something else." There were a couple of days that I skipped a run because I did not "feel it" and went to a gym instead.

Recently, I attended a talk on running motivation organized by the Medina County Road Runners (MCRR) club. The speaker (Dr. Salwan) talked about the psychology of goals and motivations and that the goals (both running and life) have to be realistic so that they are achievable. Perhaps, I have to set a more realistic running goal next year instead of the "I have to run another 100-mile race" mindset. The next 100-mile race can wait but my time to get tenure is running out.

Anyway, enough with the boring stuff. Back to the race reports :)

I ran a half marathon at Crowell Hilaka in Richfield on Saturday, October 19. The weather was PERFECT and it was a nice day to spend time in the woods. I was also very careful NOT to roll my ankle again on this course. Saw a lot of friends and familiar faces out there, too!




On Sunday, October 20, I ran a donut 5K!!!!, which I jokingly called it my "A race" this year. This was the first time that P. came to my race in a VERY LONG TIME and that's because the race started at Brewnuts (our favorite donuts shop) and he likes the beers there. The race was well organized and I LOVED the medal <3

I also ran a 5K PR at this race! The race started at Brewnuts on Detroit Ave. in Cleveland. It's an out-and-back race where we ran to Edgewater park and back. It was so much fun and we got a free donut at the end :D






Not much race report to write for October as I did not have any long race and loved that I took a break from running a long-distance race in October.

Up next - Regal Beagle 50K in November

Sydney

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler