2019 Akron marathon - new course, hot day

It's another hot race this year! (After Hamburg half marathon and Vermont 100)

I started the race injured and undertrained (as usual). The week leading to the race day I was really anxious about the race as my ankle was still not 100% and I had not been running much since YUTC 50K. Work was also overwhelming and running was not my first priority.

The weekend before the race day I went out to check the back half of the course with A. (10 miles) so I knew what to expect. Worst case scenario I would just walk the back half of the course.

Race morning I woke up early and drove to the finish line to catch the shuttle at 6am. Some people were skeptical about the new course and the new start line. This year the Akron marathon moved the start line to be at Stan Hywet hall. So, most people have to park at the finish (Canal Park) and take the shuttle to the start line. The process was easier and faster than I expected.

Once I got to Stan Hywet I used the restroom and checked my gear bag before taking a group photo with Medina County Road Runners friends. The weather was still cool and nice (a bit humid). 




My goal for this race was to finish under 5 hours (as I did not want to be out there for too long in the heat) but it also depended on whether and what mile the bad ankle was going to act up. Unfortunately, it started early (around mile 10) and every downhill step hurt.

The new Akron marathon course was really nice. The first half of the course went through the fun neighborhood, which used to be the back half of the course. Everyone came out to cheer on the runners and it was pretty cool. Then, we ran downhill on Market St (instead of uphill like what the old course used to be). Once we reached Main st., the half marathon runners turned right and headed toward the finish line, whereas the marathoners and the relays turned left and head toward the Y bridge. Then, we ran to Cuyahoga Falls and crossed the Y bridge back to Akron.

At Mile 15, the weather started to get REALLY warm and I had to slow down and walk (it's the combination of fatigue, injury, and heat/humidity). Mentally, I was not ready for another hot race. Surprisingly, I ended up loving the back half of the course, too. It's flatter than it used to be. I also felt like I entered my comfort zone (no crowd cheering) and I felt "peaceful". Don't get me wrong. I love the crowd support during the first half but I think that's all my mind could handle. Once the race gets more challenging, I needed every bit of my mental capability to focus on the race and preferred not to be distracted.

I walked/ran most of the back half. The surprise was when we exited the Towpath and I thought I was going to run to the finish line. But no, they took us through Main Street and around the Akron Children's hospital before we circled back to Main street again and finished at Canal Park.

My time at the Akron Marathon this year was not pretty but, hey, not every race is going to be a PR, right? I was glad that I finished another marathon at this race. This is the 3rd year I ran the marathon distance (the first year - 2016 - I only ran the half marathon). It's usually the only road marathon I run in a year.



The race director and volunteers were AMAZING. You can tell whether the race is put together by a runner or not by looking at how well it's organized. I would say the Akron marathon is flawless in terms of the organization. It's my most favorite marathon!

Sydney

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler