2019 Outrun 24 - First 24-hour race & first 100K distance

I still have unfinished business with Outrun 24 (O24).

I signed up for this race last year because 1) I wanted to try the 24-hour race format and see if I would like it or not (I knew I would end up either loving or hating this race format) 2) I needed a tune-up race for any 100 miler I signed up in the summer. The timing of this race was not ideal. It always falls around the end of the semester (esp. last week of instructions). So, I was reluctant to sign up. Then, I told myself if I gave myself enough time to prepare for the end of semester crisis, I could still do this race because it's local (only 40 minutes drive from home). I volunteered at this race last year and ran about 15 miles with G. (in the dark). I thought it was 'ok'.

A week before the race I went out with Coach C. to run a couple of loops on the course. The picture below shows what the course looks like and then the song "Baby Shark" popped up in my head.


The week leading to the race day was completely insane as I tried to wrap up the semester, attended end of semester department and college meetings and other events. On Friday, I had meetings/events all day before I went to pick up the race packet in Kirtland, OH (50 minutes drive from school). I wanted to set up the table for my personal aid station on the course the day before the race so I did not have to wake up too early on the race day. The race team (RD, volunteers) consisted of everyone I knew. Guess what? They gave me a donut at the packet pick up LOL



I went into O24 with 2 goals - 1) to see how far I could go for 24 hours and 2) use it to test nutrition and race strategy and not to get injured.

The morning of the race I got up and ate the pre-race breakfast in the car. Arrived at the race to set up my own aid station (so I did not have to go into the main aid station as much) and went to the restroom. Everything worked out well. Then, the race started. I told myself not to get carried away with the conversation with friends that I forgot to stay on my goal pace.



The good thing about a one-mile loop is that you have a chance to come back to your aid station every mile in case you forget something. I felt sleepy around 1-3pm but was able to keep the same pace for the first 20 miles before the bad ankle started to act up. Then, I decided to change the shoes and it helped. The pain went away after switching shoes.


Around 4pm my friend, A., showed up to pace me. At that point, I started to slow down and we ran/walked together. The crowd started to thin out as many people who were running a 50K already finished and went home. I started to notice that something was wrong with the bad ankle because it started to scream again. Around Mile 40, I wondered if I should stop before it went really bad and if so, where I should stop. At Mile 50, I decided that I would stop at the 100K point because I did not want to ruin the bad ankle and mess up with my A race this year. It was a tough decision because mentally I felt strong and I knew I could push through the pain. The question became "is it really worth it?"

A. ran with me until I reached 56 miles and then she had to take off. I said to myself that 6 more loops were not a problem (to get to 62 miles/100K). Then, someone said many people stopped once they reached 62 miles so I had to go a couple of miles farther. So I ran 3 more loops and stopped at 65 miles (it took me 15 hours and 47 mins). I am pretty pleased with the distance, time, and pace. Before I went home, I stopped at the main aid station to chat with volunteers and friends. They tried to get me to go out for "just another loop" but I was "done". I took the 100K finisher medal and went home.

O24 was a fantastic event full of friends and friendly volunteers. I love that I kept seeing people every loop and sometimes could have a conversation with them so I did not feel "lonely". I thought I would hate running in loops for 24 hours but it turned out that I actually liked the repetitiveness and mind-numbing aspect of the 24-hour race. Plus, O24 was a trail race so we spent most of the time in the woods.

To revisit the goals:
1) Keep running for 24 hours - Failed
2) Test the nutrition/race strategy - Success

This time I did not keep going for 24 hours and that's why I feel I still have unfinished business with this race. I kinda want to see how far I could go if I keep going for 24 hours. Maybe that could be the goal next year?

Sydney




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler