Aid station captain at 2018 Run with Scissors

Yep, it's that time of the year again. This past weekend was the 2018 Run with Scissors race. I ran this race as my first marathon in 2016 (4 months after I moved to NE Ohio) and first 50ish miler in 2017 in the worst condition one could have asked for (rainy and muddy). This year I was "voluntold" to be the aid station captain at Pine Hollow. This aid station was the first aid station that the runners will run through (4 miles from the start/finish).

Originally, I thought about running the double marathon again this year but because my ankle was still in the not-yet-100% condition and I wanted to help my friends, I agreed to be the aid station captain. About one week before the race day, the RD (S.) emailed me the information and turned out that my aid station had to be opened from 5:30am to 8pm!

I was freaking out about the duration of the aid station hours. Not because I did not want to be there but because I did not know anyone who would show up in the wee hours of the morning or want to stay with me until the aid station is closed. I had to set up the aid station at 4:30am and thank god I had 2 friends to help me (B. and G.)

I started asking my friends for their help during the "busy hours" from 9am to 3pm when most half marathoners and marathoners came through. Luckily, many people agreed to help me with very short notice (I love you all). I asked many seasoned volunteers and aid station captain about how to set up, what to do, what NOT to do, etc. I learned that the most common question that runners ask volunteers is "how many miles to the next aid station?". So, I printed out signs and hung them to the tent so everyone could see.

On the race day, it was raining all day and it was really cold. I started setting up the tent and aid station at 4:30am and stayed until the final finisher came through, which was about 7pm-ish. Since it was already dark, the RD had to re-route the final runner to finish at Pine Hollow because Ledges Shelter was already closed.

Because I was not running this year, I decided to dress up as a #poop and offer poopy hugs to all runners. We also had bacon and donuts, which turned out to be everyone's favorite aid station food.




Being an aid station captain makes me appreciate the volunteers 1000% more, especially those who showed up on time and committed to their tasks. Many friends also showed to help and we had a blast!




Below is the picture during the final hours of our aid station. We were waiting for the double marathon runners to come through but we also had to start packing up. Because it was still raining, we had to move our stuff to in front of the restrooms. T. ran the marathon in the morning and showed up to help me after the marathon. D. also came and saved my arse during the last hours at the aid station. 




Because I was volunteering all day on Saturday, I had to get my long run in on Sunday to prepare for Bills' Badass 50K in 2 weeks. Most people already ran the race on Saturday so I had to run by myself (sniff sniff). After a brunch date with hubby (plus some bloody mary), I helped sweep a short section of the course on Sunday before I started the long run. It was very muddy and it rained the whole time I was on the course. Because of the muddy trail condition, my ankle started to hurt after 5 miles so I had to cut it short. One thing I realized was I love running in the rain. The rain sound was so comforting and peaceful, and it's better than any kind of music. Then, it started to get dark and I had to turn around earlier than expected. I did not want to be in the woods by myself at night (even though I had a headlamp with me).


Well, that concludes my no-work weekend. After a long week at work, being in the woods and talking to friends at the race helped refresh my mental health. Up next is BBA 50K! and I hope I don't die on the course.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler