2018 Akron marathon - First long distance race after the injury

After the Canal Corridor 100, I was in a boot for 3 weeks. I admit that I kinda lost my running mojo after being in the boot and being away from the trails. My left ankle still hurt every time I ran on trails especially bridle trails. I also shifted my focus to triathlon training. In other words, I was all over the place.

A good friend who is also a triathlon coach kindly sent me a brief training program after seeing me freaking out about the Akron marathon. After getting out of the boot, my longest run was still at 12 miles 3 weeks prior to the marathon. Two weeks before the marathon I ran 20 slow miles on uneven trails and that made my injured ankle worse (Yes, I admit that it was a stupid decision to train for my road marathon on trail but I missed trail running and my running friends). Then, we traveled across the world to attend my sister's wedding and were super busy while we were in Bangkok. However, I got a chance to squeeze in 12 miles on Saturday (a week before the marathon) in a hot, humid weather (95F).

On the race day, it was 50 degrees - a perfect marathon weather! My goals were 1) not to die 2) finish the marathon injury free 3) come in under 5 hours. I knew I could run the distance but I wanted to run it well (based on my lack of training standard). The first half went well and my average pace was about 10:30 min/mile. I tried to stay ahead of the 5-hour pace group. Saw a couple of friends on the course and was happy to see/chat with them.

After passing Mile 13, we had to run up Market St., which we had to run uphill for about a mile. I tried to keep moving forward slowly without walking. Then, fatigue hit me around Mile 15. My legs were really tired and felt like they just woke up from a nice dream. They started screaming and around Mile 19-20, the bad ankle joined them. I think it's because my body already forgot how feeling REALLY tired was like. I struggled from Mile 17-20 (but this is how I always feel in a marathon). After I hit Mile 20, I could hear my body said "I knew this sh*tty feeling. I've been through it so many times. Let's shut the F up and keep running." I was able to come back and maintain a slow, stead pace again. Since my watch lost the signal after Mile 15, I did not know the pace but it was steady.

I saw a 4:55 pace group in front of me and the pacer sped up after Mile 22. "shit!" I said. I looked at my watch and I still had plenty of time to finish before 5 hours. So, I did not try to keep up with the group but ran at my own pace. I finished at 4:52, slow time for a marathon but I'm ok with that.




For some weird reason, I was REALLY happy during the race and smiled for 26.2 miles! I was happy to be running a marathon again and to know I could do it. The weather was perfect. The race was well organized. In other words, the condition was perfect for a marathon PR. Since it was the 2nd time I ran a marathon at the Akron marathon and last year was UGLY, I got the course PR by 32 minutes LOL 

After crossing the finish line, I talked to the race director and my former student who now works at the Akron marathon, and went straight to the beer tent for the post-race ultra light beer. This is the only time in a year that I drink ultra light beer. 




Saw T. at the Barley House and she took pictures of me. 



Akron marathon is a challenging course but I love everything about the race. This marathon was the only road marathon for me in 2018. Maybe the goal next year is to run a fast road marathon?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler