Run with Scissors Trail Marathon

In my life, I never imagined I would run a marathon. NEVER. As a matter of fact, a year ago I was still skeptical of the marathon distance. Who would have time to train for a marathon? Not a tenure-track assistant professor for sure.

Then, I began to run more and more. Started with a half marathon, 25K, and more half marathons. The idea of weekend long run is not an alien to me any more. 12-15 miles have become pretty normal. I would not get home until 11am or 12pm on Saturday when I go out for a long run. The mileage has increase and so does the running duration.

After I finished the Muddy Paws 10 miles in July (3 weeks after I moved to OH), I wanted to do another trail race and was thinking between keeping at the half marathon or move up to a marathon. Talked to Stacie and she told me about the Run with Scissors marathon. I was not sure if I could do it as I just started my new job and was afraid that the training would be too demanding. After discussed with Steve and Jen (trail gurus), I decided to sign up for a full trail marathon. Why? Steve said, if I was not ready by the race day, I could always down grade to the half. I believed him. Signed up and started training for RWS marathon.

It's also a costume race. People would dress up and run the race in it. This year I was a beer mug and it turned out that other people did not dress up for the race!?!?

Anyway, the weather was perfect. The race started at 7am and it's 50 degrees.



Mile 1-5 were good. I started to feel weird after Mile 6. I felt TIRED?!?! I never felt tired that early in the long run. I made it to the Covered bridge aid station (around Mile 10) still had costume on. It was HOT and I started to feel uncomfortable in the costume.

Somewhere between Wetmore and Langes we saw the first book. The race director gave us a child scissors so we could use it to cut off a page from the book. The first book was a children's book.



Had some food at the aid station before took off to do the Bills Bad Ass loop (5 miles). That's when I knew I might not have taken enough energy chew. I slowed down and even walked. I walked up the hills and tried to run down. My pace dropped to 15-16 min/mile. Not what I expected. Oh well.

I told Roy I would take a selfie with Red, a skeleton that they placed somewhere on the BBA loop. We also had to cut off another page from Red's book.


Thanks, Red!


The second half of the marathon was not pretty. I struggled. When I was back at the covered bridge aid station, my hands swelled. I thought my sodium was off. So, they offered me the salt tablets. Best thing ever! I started to feel better and carried on.

Got back to the Pine Hollow aid station. Saw couple of familiar faces and they helped me. I seriously do not know what I would do without the aid station volunteers. They are the best.

The last few miles were pretty rough as I did not expect the race to take me through Octagon trail, which was super hilly and rocky. At that point, the last thing I needed for my feet was more pounding on hard rocks.

However, I made it!! (with some cursing and swearing). I ran my first marathon and it's a TRAIL marathon! I love how the race was laid back and friendly. Everyone knew each other and most of them were friends. Today I had my first marathon in the book.


 Thank you, thank you, thank you for introducing me to a great race and great people. The trail running community in NE Ohio is amazing. So many 100 miles, 100K, 50 miles, 50K finishers!!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler