The final Bills' Badass 50K - I finally became a Badass

In 2016, when I first moved to NE Ohio, someone told me about Bills' Badass 50K. I also got to run with the race director and became friends with him and the group. I was only training for my first marathon at that time and ran the marathon at Run with Scissors 2 weeks before BBA50K. After considering all the factors involved, I decided NOT to run BBA that year but volunteer at the race instead (to get the feeling/experience of the trail community in NE Ohio). I fell in love with the community on that day. 

Bills' Badass 50K started 10 years ago. It's a free race because the RD wanted to make the race accessible to everyone. However, they encourage runners to make donations and each year the money goes to one of the non-profit organizations in NE Ohio. 

In 2017, I ran the double marathon at Run with Scissors and had enough of the muddy, wet, cold rain condition that I did not want to run another 50K two weeks later in the same weather condition. So, I again volunteered and ran only 3 loops (25K) on the course. Badassery could wait. 

This year it was announced that it's the final year of Bills' Badass 50K due to the change in park permits. I signed up without giving a second thought. I had to earn that official badass title and belong to the club. I also did not run RWS this year so I kinda saved my body and ankles for the almost-alway-shitty condition at BBA50K. 

The week leading to the race, anxiety hit me 2 days before the race. I was not sure if I would finish the race if the weather was beyond awful. We also had the first snow in NE Ohio on Friday, which made a lot of people anxious. So, I took the early start on Saturday at 7am as I did not want to be the last person to be out there and everyone had to wait for me. 



BBA50K is a 5-mile loop in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The runners have to run the loop 6 times plus another mile up the mountain to get the candy. Each year the RD changed the candy and we did not know what it was until we ran up the hill to the candy basket. This year the original direction was supposed to be counter clockwise but due to the snow and muddy trail, the RD changed the direction to be clockwise, which gave us a relief because the clockwise direction is easier.

The first two loops went by and I did not feel "right". Maybe it's because I was too worried about the ankle. Since I started early, the trails were still in a not-so-muddy condition. After the 2nd loop, my body started to feel "right" but the left ankle started to get sore. I was able to maintain a consistent pace for 6 loops and spend minimal time at the aid station. The last 2 loops were awful because the trails were REALLY muddy.




I saw R. (Master) at the beginning of my last loop. I told him it's my last loop and he said "see you half way". I did not know where was the "half way" but thought he would find me. I ended up seeing R. at every road crossing and he yelled at me for "walking" the course. Damn.

I finished faster than I expected and was happy with my time. My body was sore but nothing hurt like after the Canal Corridor. I hugged the RD (WB), T., B., R., and other friends at the finish line. I love this race because of the people it involves.



Now I am officially a Badass :D

Sydney

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler