Other priorities

Sometimes, life is not always how you want it to be and we get lost in other activities that we forget what the true priorities are.

We all have professional and personal goals that we try to reach but we have to admit that only few people could accomplish both at the same time. Lately, I have been focusing (too much) on my personal goals and on myself that I was told I gave running and exercise the first priority. Ultra marathon training is demanding and sometimes you can be running for 7-8 hours, especially when you do back-to-back long runs, which means your whole weekend is gone. It might be fine if you are single or your family is fully on board and they are not expecting you to be home by a certain time.

That is not a case in my family. I have to re-prioritize things. Family comes first. Long run on Saturday will have to be subject to whether the family has other plans on that day or not. It has to also be clearly communicated a few days in advance about what time I will be home from running. This should be fine with a marathon training that requires you to only do one long run a week. For ultra marathon training, the training plan usually encourages you to run on tired legs (back-to-back long runs). I may have to put the 50 miler goal on hold for now and re-visit it later in life. Will just stick to the marathon training and one long run per week.

Anyway, enough venting. I've been thinking about this for a couple of week and finally put it on the blog. This together with the ankle injury, I decided to do shorter runs on the weekend. (Have to admit that I am kinda jealous of those people on social media for logging 15, 18, 20 miles on Saturdays).

This week my ankle felt better and I did not have to wear a brace to work anymore (yay). Did yoga on Monday (rest day). Ran with M. on Tuesday at Happy Days (3 easy miles) and with 5@5 group on Thursday.  


Skipped the cycling class on Wednesday morning because of a thunderstorm, which became a tornado warning.


Friday, went swimming on campus before going to work. Practiced bilateral breathing and some other drills.


Stayed home on Saturday morning. We went to a Filipino buffet for lunch before my meeting at 2pm. Had a chillaxing day :)

Started running early miles at 7am before joining the CVTR group for more miles at 8. Ran 9 miles total in a butt-freezing cold weather.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler