Thanksgiving run and races

Oh boy, what a busy (and lazy) Thanksgiving break!

On Thursday (Thanksgiving), I signed up for the Home Run for the Homeless 4 miler (turkey trot) in Akron. I did this race last year with a colleague (and her family) and really liked the idea of running a turkey trot on Thanksgiving. So, this year I signed up to do it again. A couple of days before the race, I realized that a lot of my running friends would be there, too. That made me even more excited. On the race day, there were sooo many people making it very hard to find my friends. There was a group picture in front of Krispy Kreme at 8:45am. I did not know which group the picture was for and found out later that it was for another group that I have not even run with them (but heard of them). So, I felt bad that I appeared like I belonged to that group in the group picture. After the group picture, I slowly made my way to the front of the pack where I found E. and J. (and their friends). E. is a fast/badass ultra marathon runner. She told me before the race started that she wanted to run a "slow" pace (she meant 9:30 min/mile). I told her we could run together as that's my "race pace" LOL Then, we took off.

The course was really hilly. The first mile was on road and it's pretty flat. Then, we entered the cemetery and that's where we had to run through endless hills. I had to work hard to keep up with E. as she was running her "slow/jogging pace". We ended up running 9:21 min/mile and E. said we screwed up LOL It was fun running with her as in a "real race" I will never catch up with E. I told her if she wants to run a 9:30 min/mile pace, she can think of my face.




One thing I love about this race was that they had a lot of post-race food and drinks, AND donuts!!! I wanted to buy Krispy Kreme donuts home but decided not to do it because I still had to run back to my car, which I parked a mile away from the race. I came home and relaxed before we started preparing the Thanksgiving dinner. 




On Friday, it was the Annual Burn Your Buns run with WB et al. This year a lot of people showed up and we had a great time. They were all people I knew. So, we ran and chatted and laughed together for 12 miles. The first year I missed this run because I was tapering for Buckeye Woods 50K two days later and last year I was just too lazy to get up early on Friday.




We went to the Signal Tree in Akron and took pictures. That's where I tried to sit on the fence and broke it (the consequence of eating too much on Thanksgiving?). 




Due to the mileages increase this past week and I ran "fast" on Thanksgiving, I felt really tired and my body needed a break. So, I decided to take Saturday off (just went to a yoga class, which I have never been in a while). Hamstrings were still tight and something still did not feel "right" after yoga. 

On Sunday, it was the annual Buckeye Woods 50K/25K race by Medina County Road Runners club. This is a free club race for current members. The membership fee is only 20 bucks per year and we get discounts and free races. I became MCRR member since 2016 and won the Runner of the Year award this year. 

I showed up about 2 minutes before the start. My goal was to run only the 25K as I am running Regal Beagle 50K next weekend. The first loop was a struggle because we had to run one mile loop before we could run the normal 5-mile loop. I showed up late so I had to start the one-mile loop with others while carrying the bib in my hand. After the first 5-mile loop, I started to feel better and felt like I had my sh*t together. I decided to run part of the 2nd loop in the opposite direction of the race so I could take pictures of all runners (for social media and newsletter purpose). The course was more muddy than I thought and I was wearing my CLEAN road running shoes. ugh. 

While trying to skip through the mud (yeah, R. would be laughing at me if he saw this. I could hear him say "You try to SKIP through the mud, Grasshopper? shame on you."), I tripped and fell (face down) in the mud. Luckily, no one was around to see the embarrassing moment. I had a blister on my toe so I took care of it before I started the last loop. I told myself there is NO way I am going to run a 50K on that course again LOL 




That wraps up my Thanksgiving weekend. Fun time with friends and good food by hubby. Next week is Regal Beagle 50K and Thailand International Half Marathon in 2 weeks. Then, I'm done racing for 2018.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler