Corona Crush 2020 10ish miler


Last week was not a great week in terms of race morale. Ohio 70.3 (half Ironman distance) race was canceled with options to transfer the entry to other 70.3 races later this year or defer it to next year. Although I did not plan to race Ohio 70.3, I was considering it as an alternative race in case the September race does not happen. Now that Ohio 70.3 was canceled, I think there is less chance that the September race will happen. 

Earlier this year (some time during COVID quarantine) R. messaged me and A. saying that her family was putting together a race for her as a Mother's day gift (so sweet of them) and asked if we could join her. We said, "of course". They planned the route and the preparation for the race was perfect. They even had bibs for all of us. 

The race was called "Corona Crush 10 miler". 

I arrived at R's house at 8 and saw that they had the runner check-in station where we picked up our bibs. Our names were even written on the bibs! The weather was perfect for a long run with friends. My only concern was my ability to keep up with the rest of the group as they are all faster than me and I have not been running "fast" since forever. I thought I would try to stick with them until I could not and would just follow the Blue Line back to R's house (start/finish area). 



We took a group picture before we took off. I was trying to keep the social distance LOL




There were water stops (run by R's mom) at Mile 3 and 7 (like a real race!). Each water bottle and Gatorade had our initials on them so we knew which one was ours. It was pretty neat. The dogs also came to cheer on us. We also had a photographer on the course (following us everywhere) LOL 




I truly enjoyed the run and the company during the "race". We chatted (mostly other people were chatting while I was trying hard not to die and to keep up) and the time and miles just flew by. The best thing was the downhill finish! 

After we crossed the finish line, we saw the finisher medals and packages waiting for us (see the picture). Pretty neat. 




The results were already printed out and put in the package! The best thing was the post-race food and drinks. The beers were WAY better than what we usually get at big marathons (those beers taste like water). I was very happy :D




This event reminds me that I may not miss racing but I miss running with friends and seeing friends at races (the camaraderie aspect of it). Because most of my friends here are runners and triathletes, between no race and us trying to keep the social distance, it's pretty difficult to see them in person. 

Thanks to R. and her family for making this Corona Crush 10 miler happen and for inviting me to be part of it. I would rate this event 5 out of 5 on a marathon review website. 



I will not be surprised if the 70.3 race in September is canceled. However, I will still keep training for it because if the race does not happen, I still burn those beer and wine calories and stay in shape this year. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler