Beautiful frozen waterfalls and old new year resolutions?

Last weekend we had a chance to get out on a beautiful, (less) cold Saturday morning. It was my first run in five days and I was looking forward to it. In the blog last week, I talked about negativity and no motivation to do anything. Let alone exercising or running. I found that I was not alone in feeling that way. Many people also felt down on the very cold days that we had in NE Ohio.

We visited Twin Sisters Falls, which were completely frozen. The trails leading to the falls were....pretty icy. We had to walk on a frozen stream, which we were not sure if it's completely frozen. However, once we got there, they were completely breathtaking. Due to the polar vortex the week before, the waterfalls were frozen and it created the most beautiful effect I'd ever seen. On that day, we ran about 12 miles, which was enough for me and enough to make me feel good about myself again.




Then we went to Columbus on Saturday afternoon to buy some furniture at IKEA. It turned out that IKEA was closed due to a broken waterline. We stopped by a brewery in Columbus for lunch and some beer before heading home empty-handed :( #Bummer

Since December of last year, I decided to adopt new behaviors to use less plastics - carry a reusable straw and silverware, and bring reusable shopping bags to the grocery store. I also want to be more mindful and practice the art of zen in my daily life. I want to be at peace with my own thoughts and be aware of the surroundings more. Zen encourages us to meditate, which is difficult for people with a short attention span like me. So, I choose to meditate in my own way through running. I plan to use running as the time to reflect, be aware, and connect to the surroundings. It is hard to do in this unpredictable Ohio weather but I will try.

Today while my thoughts were scattered and anxiety about various work projects/deadlines kicked in, I went back to read Tao Te Ching to find peace with my own thoughts.

"In dwelling, live close to the ground.
In thinking, keep to the simple.
In conflict, be fair and generous.
In governing, don’t try to control.
In work, do what you enjoy.
In family life, be completely present.

When you are content to be simply yourself
and don’t compare or compete,
everybody will respect you."

- Verse 8, Tao Te Ching


Yes, I must be content to be myself. Do the best I can and thrive to be better than my self yesterday without comparing it to anyone. It is hard to do in this competitive world where everyone is told that they must be better than others or be the best in the field. Sometimes, I am tired of the competition. I am now practicing the art of letting it go. No deadline is definite. The only thing that is constant is change.

I will be at peace with my own thoughts...





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler