2018 Thailand International Half Marathon - My cousin's first half

Thailand International Half Marathon is always on the 3rd week of December. Last year I ran the race for the first time. Actually, I was not quite impressed with the race and its organization but the timing and distance fit my schedule.

This year I asked my extended family if anyone would be interested in running the half marathon (or any distance) with me at this race. One of my cousins has recently started running and done 2 half marathons this year. She wanted to run another one especially when she knew I was going to run with her. Another cousin decided to run her first half at this race. We also persuaded her brother to join us.

I had always wanted to run with my family for AGES. Tried to persuade my sisters to start running but none of them was interested. When my cousins (who grew up with me) decided to run this race, I was very excited. We started a group chat called "Happy Running" and used it as our team name when we signed up for the race.

Since this race was on the highway, they had to start the race REALLY early (4am), which means we had to wake up at 2:30am and leave home at 3am. We got to the race about 5 minutes before the start time. We decided to go slow and stick together. They ran a slower pace than my normal pace (12 min/mile) so I just considered it a normal long run for me.

I don't get a chance to interact with my cousins much because I live in the US and only see them once a year at the family reunion when I go back to Thailand. Running a half marathon with them gives me an opportunity to talk to them and catch up with them. They are my younger cousins and consider me their role model (in running). I taught them what I learned about running from my experience and from my role models. It feels good to pass on the knowledge and wisdom to new runners.

We stuck together for 10-11 miles before one cousin slowed down because he was not quite ready to run the half marathon. The rest of us kept going. During the last mile, both of them started to get tired and wanted to slow down. I had to cheer them up and tell them that we were almost there.




Before we crossed the finish line, we decided to hold hands and cross the finish line together. It was one of the best running experience in my life. That I got to run with my family and that I could be part of someone's first long distance race. They said I was their inspiration. Everyone was looking at us and taking photos because we were laughing and smiling the whole time. Not long after that the other cousin also crossed the finish line. It was his first time running in the sandals (barefoot running).




We were pretty slow and by the time we crossed the finish line, the food was almost gone. The shorter distance runners (5K and 10K) were done way before us and they had already eaten all the food. I was not quite impressed with the post-race food and drink at this race anyway. So, we just left to go to breakfast somewhere else. 



The only reason I signed up for this race is because it fits my schedule and it's in Bangkok. Maybe next year if my cousin decides to run the first full marathon we will have to organize a trip to Chiang Mai or other cities. It will be so cool to run their first full marathon with them.

This was the last race of the year for me. See you next year!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler