Sprained ankle (again)???

I admit that I'm not a good blogger. My posts are not very consistent and I tend to disappear from blogging when I am really busy (usually around the end of the semester). After the CLE trail 50K, I continued to train for Mohican 50 miler and the Canal Corridor 100. Have I mentioned that I finally signed up for the Canal Corridor 100?

Two weeks after CLE trail 50K, my friends and I went to Mohican state park to run the course. We ran the short loop, which was around 23 miles. I love the trails at Mohican and always try to tag along with someone who go there to run. The run was fine. We started at 8am. The weather was kinda hot and humid. It also rained a bit around noon. We had a good time until I twisted my ankle and fell around Mile 22 (almost done with the run). It's the bad ankle and that I always had trouble with in the past. Ugh. I hobbled back to the car and put some ice on while driving back home.

After taking 2 days off from running, I ran 5 miles on road on Tuesday and the ankle did not scream as much as I thought it would. I had to change the training plan to run on flat surface (mainly road and the Towpath) that week.




It kinda sucks when you are 3 weeks out from your big trail race but you can't run on trails. However, like most ultra runners say, shit can happen and you have to learn to adapt to the situation. On Thursday, I tried a SLOW run on trails and the sprained ankle did not quite agree with me yet. So, back to the Towpath I went. 

The good thing about having to mainly stay on the Towpath is that I could cover and explore the sections of the Canal Corridor 100 course that I'd never run on. On Saturday, I ran from Lock 3 down to almost Wolf creek and back to explore the area (by myself). It was beautiful! The weather was not as hot as I had hoped it to be. 



On Sunday, I met with other MRTT runners to run on the Towpath. My plan was to run 15 miles and had others join me for whatever distance they wanted. Turned out that those badass ladies ran with me for 10 miles (some decided to do so and some were persuaded). Ten miles flew by with great friends and conversations. After everyone left, I ran the last 5 miles by myself. It started to get hot and humid, and I struggled to finish the run. 


After covering 57 miles last week (with a bad ankle), I think it's time to give it a break and taper for Mohican 50. I will still stay away from trails and run mainly on road and the Towpath. Fingers crossed for a healthy ankle in 2 weeks!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler