Volunteering at Mohican Trail 100 this weekend

So many things going on last week and weekend. Luckily, my work is slow in the summer (no teaching, only research). Since I was on vacation for 2 weeks, I spent Mon-Wed catching up with work but was able to throw in a short run and a group ride on Tuesday (2 workouts/day! woo!).

I was too tired on Wednesday morning so I skipped a swim but tried out Orange Theory Fitness (OTF) in the evening instead. The idea of OTF is similar to high intensity interval workout. The instructor told you to switch between weights, treadmill run, and rowing machine. The goal is to get your heart rate up in the "orange zone" (Z4) and sustain at that level for 20-30 minutes during an hour workout. Heart rate monitor is required but you have to purchase it from the company so it connects with the monitor and system. I like the idea and the workout kicked my butt. However, I got bored on a treadmill and rowing machine. The music was also loud and I am not familiar with loud music during exercise. I got dizzy at the end because it became too stimulating.

Then, I went to a board meeting for a running club that I'm in (Medina County Road Runners) and somehow became in charge of the monthly newsletter for the club. Not sure how well I will do the job but guess at least I will try.

Friday, I took a day off to help mark the trails at Mohican Trail 100 race this weekend. I was kinda glad that I did not sign up for the 50 miler because it was brutally hot! I honestly did not know how I would survive in that heat if I were to run the race. I drove down to Mohican State park in the morning, had breakfast and meeting at Mellor's, and mark the aid stations (Fire Tower and Cover bridge) and trails all day. This really helped me learn the course.



This is the picture of the map at R. drew to tell us how to get to the part that T. and I had to mark. It was my least favorite part of the course (through the private property) but at least now I know how to get there and take a short cut if I don't feel like completing the whole loop :D




I took a day off on Saturday to be with hubby. He just came back from the out of town business trip. We went to Cleveland for dim sum lunch and played board game in the afternoon. Glad that we spent some quality time together :)

I went back to Mohican on Sunday morning as I told R. I would help sweep the course. I also wanted to see S. and R. finish their 100 mile. Unfortunately, S. dropped on Saturday night because she did not feel well. The marathon and 50 mile runners started and finished on Saturday (too bad I missed that) and most of the 100 milers finished on Sunday morning. It was so hot that a lot of people dropped.



R. finished around 12.30pm. I saw many 100 milers came through the finish line. Some looked great and some not so much. That was very inspiring to me. These people had endurance and mental toughness to run 100 miles (sans sleep) for 30 hours. That's something I would like to try some day (??).

After seeing R. came through the finish line, I took off to sweep the course (alone). I was kinda afraid at the beginning as I would be alone in the woods and had to carry all signs and flags by myself. I told the race director that I would sweep from the camp ground to the cover bridge (through Gorge Overlook AS and Fire Tower AS) and would leave the flags and signs at the aid stations so he could come pick them up. Luckily, I helped mark the course on Friday and ran it twice so I knew the course a bit.



Mohican Trail 100 was a HARD course (in my opinion). I myself never completed the whole marathon loop. Had to cut it short with ankle pain. To see so many runners finish the race was very inspiring to me. Hopefully, I will be able to finish the race one day.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler