Roscoe Ramble 2026 - Funsies in thunderstorms
My first multi-day ride - Roscoe Ramble. This ride was organized by the Akron Bike Club. The riders can choose between 1) 55 miles per day or 2) 75 miles per day. I had always wanted to do this ride but since it's always in September, either between my big races or before a big race, I had not had a chance to do the ride.
This year, after finishing IM Ottawa, I was debating whether I should do another race (Portage Lake Triathlon) or do a fun two-day ride at Roscoe Ramble. After considering how much stress I was under before a race, I chose to do the long ride for fun.
Roscoe Ramble long ride started in Canal Fulton, OH. I was lucky that many people in the Saturday ride group were going to do this ride anyway, and I was able to tag along with them. We kicked off from Canal Fulton around 7:30am. The weather was perfect at the beginning of the ride. Around 10am, we arrived at the first rest stop (around mile 33) for snacks and hydration. I did not check the weather forecast before I left home (I had a long week last week and was in a 6-hour meeting on Friday so my brain was fried), so I did not pack any rain gear. After we left the rest stop, it started to pour. We rode in heavy rain for about 10+ miles before we arrived at the lunch stop (called the Farm at Walnut Creek located in the Amish country). Every inch of my body was soaking wet, and I was cold. We stopped for lunch longer than we expected because of the thunderstorms and lightning.
After waiting for about 30 minutes until the weather got a bit better, we took off again. The lunch stop was around Mile 50, so we still had 25 more miles to go. We rode in the heavy rain with hilly terrain for about 20 miles before arriving at Roscoe Village in Coshocton, OH - about 1+ mile from the hotel. The ABC gave us one free coupon for ice cream in Roscoe Village. Who could say no to ice cream after a long hilly, rainy ride?
Here is a picture of soaking wet me.
We stopped at a traditional spot for a group photo.
After ice cream, we continued to ride to the hotel where a warm shower and fresh clothes were waiting for us. Our luggage was transported by the organizer and we picked it up at the hotel.
On the second day, the lunch stop was at a church and they served sloppy joe, fresh veggies, and fruits (the usual). The ride was uneventful but super beautiful. I just realized how much I love touring, and I hope to do it more in the future :)
We took a group photo at the end of the ride on the second day. I also made a video compiling the clips that I took during the two-day ride as a souvenir for the group.





Comments
Post a Comment