Columbus half marathon - Chef Pat's first half

 I love when someone does any race distance for the first time. It's so much fun seeing them accomplish their goal. P. started running during the pandemic before we went to the Galapagos Islands because I told him he had to be physically fit to scuba dive in the Galapagos as it could be pretty dangerous due to the strong current. So, he started running 1-3 miles regularly. Then, after we returned from the trip, he continued to run pretty regularly (except during the winter. He is a fair-weather runner who only runs outside and refuses to go to a gym). 

Earlier this year he came home from his Saturday run and he said he ran 10K. I said if he could run a 10K, he could run a half marathon. Then, I started looking at a fall race so that would give him enough time to train (and be mentally prepared LOL). September races were out because I had an Ironman. October is pretty busy as I also have my own races to run and volunteer at. Then, I found the Columbus half marathon in October, which was a week after the Canal Corridor 100 and before Run with Scissors. Perfecto. 

I was going to sign P. up for the half. Then, the question became which distance I should sign up for? I was leaning toward the full marathon at Columbus but then B. (my coach) said "Wouldn't that be only 3 weeks after your Ironman?" (*hint hint*...don't be stupid and you needed time to recover from your big race). Plus, it would be nice to run with P. and finish around the same time. So, I signed up for the half marathon. 

P. never followed a training plan. He just ran based on what he felt like but he consistently did a long run every Saturday (10-11 miles). I thought it would be fun to see that he could do it. After I came back from Chattanooga, I twisted a muscle around my right knee so I tried to avoid long runs and rides. I just signed up for Columbus to run with P. so I did not have any goal in mind. 


We picked up the race packet on Saturday afternoon and walked around the expo. P. bought a pair of shoes and a rain jacket. Then, we went to Seventh Son brewery for some beer (carb loading LOL). We ran into many people I know at the race expo and the brewery. Runners are the best :)



We stayed with a group of friends who rent an Airbnb house near the start line. We went to a Vietnamese restaurant for Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup) before we went to the house. Here are Flat the Syd and Flat Chef Pat




P. got to experience a long porta-potty line on race morning. Being germophobic, he usually avoids public bathrooms. Let alone porta-potties LOL




P. likes to run alone and has been trying to avoid running with me (he said I am annoying coz I talk too much during the run. He wants silence). So, I just let him run his own race but I was stalking him for 13.1 miles. First, I don't like a road race to begin with (unless it's part of a triathlon race. Then, it becomes tolerable). Second, it would be boring to run by myself without seeing how he did. I did not have any race goal and I just signed up because I would have FOMO if I was not running. 



I ran with him during the last mile and we crossed the finish line together (yay!!!). 




After crossing the finish line, P. said no more running than 2 hours (aka no more half marathon). He liked shorter, smaller races (super introvert). I will wait a couple of days before I ask him again :P




Columbus has a lot of ethnic restaurants. This time we went to an Ethiopian restaurant after the race. The food was okay. We thought other places in Cleveland are better tho. 



We don't know what will be next for Chef P. but I hope he will keep running/exercising for his own health benefits. So far, he enjoys any race up to 10K. I already signed him up for the Thanksgiving turkey trot in Akron tho LOL 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler