Hot Half marathon in Hamburg

We were on a 2-week vacation in Germany and Portugal and it's been really really really busy since we got back from the trip. Overall, we had fun and it was good to spend time with my family.

We started our trip in Hamburg, Germany where we stayed at my brother-in-law house. His parents have a house in Hamburg. My family was already there. They flew in two days before us. Then, the whole group went to Berlin for a couple of days (2 hours train ride) and came back to Hamburg to rest and relax.

When I planned the trip, I was also looking for a race to run at the same time. I found that Hamburg had a half marathon that weekend. It was perfect timing. I, then, signed up for the race. They also had a half marathon skating race at the same time. I'd never seen a skating race before. Quite interesting.

The skaters started before the runners as it took them less time to finish the half marathon. On the race day, it was EXTREMELY hot (95 degrees) and the race sent out a couple of emails (in German..thanks Google translate) warning people about the heat and how to take care of themselves during the heat. Unfortunately, I was sick before the race and did not feel well at all. I was contemplating DNSing the race but then I thought it was "just" a half marathon.

On the race day, we woke up early to get to the race for the packet pick up. My husband went with me and made sure that I got there safely before he went to the fish market to meet the rest of my family. I sat at the start line waiting to start the race. My head was all foggy and I could not think clearly. Oh well...



Do you see my name in this picture?


The route



The race took us through different parts of Hamburg, which is a VERY beautiful city. It reminds me of a classic European town with the architecture and landscape. People came out to cheer on us along the way. It was so much fun (and hot). 

The first 3 miles went well and then I needed to use the restroom very badly so I lost some time waiting in line for the porta potty. It started to get REALLY warm there and I was struggling to stay hydrated. They only had room temperature water at the water stops. That's right. No ice or Gatorade. Luckily, I brought gels and jelly beans with me from home. It got really hot that we ran from one sprinkler to another. Eventually, the firemen had to turn on the fire hydrants so we could run through cold water. The race also ran out of water and we had to drink from the fire hydrants. At least the water was cold. 

Made it to KM 15 (mile 9-10)



I stopped along the way to take pictures of the city. It would have been a fun half marathon had it not been extremely hot. I saw many people passing out on the course and the medics had to come to get them. The last 2 miles were quite a sufferfest. It got VERY hot and I was mentally done. I kept thinking of the cold beer at the finish line (and it's German beer, not Michelob Ultra crap). I crossed the finish line with the new Personal Worst time.

but...

I survived the heat!!!




I came home and took a nap for a couple of hours in the afternoon while other people were just resting and watching tv at home. For the rest of the trip, I only had 2 more runs in Lisbon, Portugal but it was nice as I ran along the shoreline but we walked a lot every day. So, I consider it time on my feet.

If anyone does not believe in climate change and global warming, I don't know what to say to them. It's gotten warmer and warmer every year around the globe with many hurricanes and other hazardous climate conditions.

Sydney

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler