2019 Buzzard Day Trail race 50K - caught a race cheater

Two words - Mud Fest

The first year I ran the Buzzard Day Trail races was in 2017 as the 2nd 50K race. I was still very new to trail running. Last year I dropped to the 25K as the distance fit with my training plan. I started early and helped out in the kitchen after my run.

The week of the race this year I was debating if I should switch to the 100K distance because I just ran Olde Girdled Grit 50K last month and that was manageable for me. I talked to my coach (she was also the co-race director this year) and the race director (R.) about the possibility to switch and they said I just had to tell them before the race day if I wanted to switch.

Then, a series of bad events happened at work throughout the week and I was really stressed out and too busy with work. So, the idea of running the 100K was put on hold. My coach (C.) told me to see how I felt on Friday then make the decision. On Friday, I was too exhausted to even think about the race. So, I decided to stick to the 50K. I told myself I would assess how I felt on the race morning then decide if I wanted to race or just run.

The race morning I woke up and arrived at the race about 45 minutes before the start. The 100K runner had already started (at 6am). The 50K runner started at 8am. I talked to friends and used the restroom before we took off.

This year the course was a 10.5-mile loop, instead of 15.5 miles like the previous years I ran it. They also took out the trail around the lake, which made the course faster. The first loop was quite fast because the mud was still pretty solid. I told myself not to go out to fast and that I still had 2 more loops to go.

I grabbed something to eat (PB&J and bacon) at the aid station after I completed the first loop and immediately went back out. I passed a lady whom I met last year and she won the 100K last year. This year she was running the 50K and we chatted at the start line. She and another male runner passed me about 1 mile into the 2nd loop. I caught up to her and passed her around the lake area in Hinckley. I did not see the male runner that was running with her so I thought he took off. I did not see her again on the course and did not remember seeing her passing me back. Then, I arrived at the Exchange Club aid station and I saw both of them already there eating and drinking. They took off when they saw my surprised face. I caught up to them again at the start/finish line area and I asked her in front of the volunteers at the aid station that I did not remember her passing me back after I passed her but how come she was ahead of me. She gave me not very convincing excuses but I did not care. Cheaters are just pathetic and I just felt sorry for them. I had a race to complete and I felt great. My time (both on the course and in life) was more valuable than dealing with dramas and pathetic runners.

I spent the first few miles during the third loop thinking where and how they could have cut the course. I had no proof that she cheated but I knew. I was just sad that in a sport like ultrarunning where people do it for their own accomplishment, not for money. We still have some people who cut the course or cheat in one way or another. I don't understand and will not understand those people. *sigh

Update: I went back to look at the course map on my GPS watch and identified where the cheater could possibly take the shortcut.



I finished the race strong. The race directors, volunteers, and runners were my friends whom I feel like they are my family. I've always been involved with this race one way or another (running and/or volunteering). I told one of the race directors about the cheater so they can keep an eye on her next year (if she comes back).

My time was way better than the first year I ran the 50K here. The course was muddy but fun. I told everyone that it was a miserable fun race. I was glad I did not sign up for the 100k.




It was great to see my friends at the aid stations and on the course. Not sure which distance I will be running next year but will definitely do somethng at the Buzzard Day Trail Races again!




Hope there will be no cheater next year...Fingers crossed.

Sydney

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler