2018 Regal Beagle 50K - muddy but fun

My last ultra marathon of the year - Regal Beagle 50K.

I ran the inaugural race last year and really liked it. Last year course was flat and fast. I PRed the 50K at this race.

This year they had to re-route the course due to heavy rain on Saturday. Some part of the course was flooded and not runnable. The new course had more paved trail but more hilly. I did not go to the training run a week ago but heard from someone who went.

After multiple late arrivals at the races this year, I figured it would be better to get there super early (due to limited parking space). The race was only 7 minutes from my house. I got there about 7 - an hour before the race started. Picked up my race packet, ate my pre-race breakfast, and went to the bathroom. Darn, I was so prepared this time.

The weather was nice - 50 degrees and sunny when we started. Could not have asked for the better weather. Then, it got warmer during the day so I had to switch from long sleeves to short sleeves t-shirt. I saw may old friends and met new ones today.

During the first loop, I knew that it was a stupid idea to sign up for a 50K and had to run it 6 times. The first 3 loops were smooth. The course was really muddy due to the rain yesterday. It reminded me of Bills' Badass 50K but not as bad. However, the temperature was WAY nicer than BBA50K.

I struggled during Loop 4 as it got too warm (for me) and a big part of the course was in the sun. However, the course got drier as the temperature increased and after the sun came out making it easier to run through the mud.

I slowed down during Loop 5 and 6 because I was tired and knew I would not get the new PR this year. Every time I came through the aid station, my friends were cheering for me and asking me what I needed.



This is how muddy it was!!!




The post-race food and drink were amazing. The RDs had chili from Whitey's (in Richfield), which is known for their amazing chili. They also had special brewed beer from R.Shea brewing in Akron. Loved the beer! The volunteers and RDs were all my friends and I can't thank them enough to be out there and for putting this race together. I will surely be back next year :D



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler