Rainbow run 5K + Lighthouse sprint triathlon

Saturday July 15 - Rainbow Run 5K 

My sister will be studying at the U of MO at Columbia for a semester. She had some time before the school starts so she came to stay with us for 10 days. I convinced her to sign up for a color run 5K because it's always my dream to run a race with my family. My sister is not a runner and hates all kinds of exercise lol but she thought the color run would be fun. So she agreed to run it with me.


We ran and talked (mostly I talked) the whole time. We had a lot of fun. 5K seemed to short but for a non-runner that's already long enough. She complained that her legs were tired the next morning lol


Sunday July 16 - Lake Metroparks Lighthouse Sprint Triathlon

This week I'd been sick. I caught a cold on the flight back from Columbia, MO (stupid germs on the plane). I was still coughing on the race morning and was considering a DNS. I also had been traveling for the past couple of weeks and the training was not very consistent. Considering no swimming at all for the past 2 weeks, I really dreaded the swimming part.

I woke up at 5 on the race morning to do the morning pre-race routine. Fairport Harbour (where the race was) was 1 hour from my house. So we had to leave home at 6am. My goal for this race was to do my best and I really did not mind finishing last on the swim.

We arrived at the race at 7am. I checked in and picked up the race packet. Used the restroom and set up the race area. The meeting started at 7.45am on the beach. I was in the last wave (Women 35+ yrs old) and my wave started at 8.20am. I struggled during the swim (again). This time it's because I could not swim straight and had a hard time sighting. Note to self - practice more ows and swim speed this winter.

Transition from swim to bike was slow (spent to long taking the wetsuit off). The bike course was nice as it's flat. I caught up with others and passed many people in the bike leg (thanks to the indoor cycling classes this winter). Transition from bike to run was smooth and fast. I was able to keep the run at 10 min/mile despite fatigue. Had to walk a couple of time because I was still coughing.




Overall, I was satisfied with my time and result. At least I did not finish last in the swim and the bike was faster than I expected.


Next is the Olympic distance at Vermillion Triathlon in August. Think I need to practice more swim starting right now!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships

2022 Ironman Chattanooga - "Sydney Chinchana, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!"

Canal Corridor 100 - First 100 Miler