As I'm writing this blog (3 days after the race), I still cannot believe that I ran 100 miles this past weekend. Everything was like a dream (a good one) and I am still processing what happened this weekend. After the first 50 miler (Double marathon at Run with Scissors), I was kinda of lost and was not sure what my next goal was going to be. I proved myself that I could run 50 miles (in a bad weather condition). What else should I do? As a typical goal-oriented, Type A person, I needed another goal to motivate me to run and be active. However, I did not "dare" to think about the 100 miler. The distance sounds too scary and I felt like it was only for seasoned ultramarathon runners or really strong people. I am not a type of person who would immediately jump into something without thoroughly calculating the success rate and my own ability. During a run with R., he suggested that I should consider the Canal Corridor 100. It is flat and well-supported (of course, I am als...
“Considering what you have been through, doing an Ironman is a gift” - My coach One month after the bike accident, I finished my 3rd Ironman at Ironman Ottawa this past weekend (Sunday, August 2). I was supposed to do this race last year, but #life happened, so I deferred it to this year. Going into the race, I was not sure how it would turn out. Exactly one month before the race, I had a bike accident, broke my front teeth, and had multiple wounds on the face and body. I had to pause the Ironman training for more than a week. Considering that I was undertrained to begin with because I just got back from spending a month in France, I was not sure if I would even start the race. Slowly and carefully, my coach and I worked together to rebuild my confidence on the bike. I tried to get as much open water swim practice as possible with two weeks left. Compared to the preparation going into IM Mont Tremblant and Chattanooga, I think the amount of training this time was not e...
"Almost heaven West Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains Shenandoah River Life is old there older than the trees Younger than the mountains blowin' like a breeze. Country roads take me home To the place I belove West Virginia mountain momma Take me home country roads" I've never been to the west side of Virginia before. This weekend was the first time I experienced Massanutten mountain and its beauty. After seeing Shenandoah River, this song popped up in my head. My dad likes John Denver and we've sung this song (Take me home, Country roads) since I was young. It's good to be able to connect the song with the landmark. This weekend I, together with B. and T., had an honor of crewing and pacing R. (Master) on his 20th finish at Massanutten 100 (MMT100). It was also the first time he had crew and pacers at the race (the previous 19 times he ran it solo - no pacer, no crew). It started with R. telling me to enter this race when I was thinking about ...
Comments
Post a Comment